Yesterday was yet another beautifully clear day, but windy and cold! After a morning of more prep work (and still not enough, we discovered) we headed to Home Depot to rent a man lift and start setting up the bows. The man lift isn’t quite as easy as it looks, and doesn’t move around quite as easily as one would hope. We put our new old truck to work, and managed to get just about everything stuck in the mud, adding about an hour to the ‘getting started’ process, as well as embedding serious doubts in my mind about the boat truck being able to get onto this field before the ground is frozen. Doubt is a horrid, insidious emotion, and while I rarely feel it with my business, I am certainly feeling it with this project. We will press on, in spite of my doubts, and if we have to wait until December to bring the boat here, so be it.
In the meantime, I’ve come to the realization that I am a very slow worker, and certainly shouldn’t be paid by the hour for construction work. I seem to take twice as long as Henry needs, just to pre-drill holes and put in screws. I’m hoping to speed up, but keep telling myself that slow and steady wins the race. I’m sure I’ll feel better about everything by this time tomorrow, when we have substantially more accomplished.
The shed is going to be huge, and very, very high. The peak is well over 21 feet, which doesn’t seem like that high, until you are hovering in the air in a man lift with nothing around to hang on to. It is amazing to think that this is a minimal space for the boat. The space looks massive to me, and yet we will only just barely have head room on deck, once the boat is inside.
More tomorrow, hopefully, with pictures showing much more having been accomplished. It is 22 degrees outside, but projected to hit 60, with the next 4 or 5 days being warm and beautiful. We will ‘make hay’ while the sun shines and this shed should be completed by the middle of next week!